• Instagram Icon
  • Vimeo Icon
  • YouTube Icon
  • Nextdoor Icon
  • Search Icon
Contact Us
main content

Permit Requirements

Attention Contractors: Please use iMS to apply for permits, especially those that require submission of plans, as the iMS permit application launches the project and sends your invitation to upload plans into ePlan.  For assistance, please contact eplanhelp@lakelandgov.net or call the Building Inspection Division at 863.834.6012. Section 105.1 Any owner or owner’s authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any impact-resistant coverings, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

Residential Permitting Guidelines

Contractor & Home Owner Permitting:

Download the Residential Plan Requirements form, which includes a list of all required information necessary for permitting for new homes and additions to existing homes.

Residential Construction Best Management Practices (BMPs)

All accessory buildings such as detached carports, garages, workshops & storage sheds require a building permit.



Swimming Pools

All swimming pools (in-ground or above-ground), non-portable spas & hot tubs require a permit. These structures have zoning requirements allowing them to be built or placed in side or rear yards only, and are required to meet a certain distance (setback) from the side or rear property line. Click Here For Setback Information.

Pools also have certain barrier protection requirements to help prevent drowning. Certain P.U.D. zoned areas could have a special setback requirement.

Historic Districts

Exterior renovations, sheds, additions, demolitions, and new construction in historic districts require approval of the Historic Preservation Board prior to submission of a building permit application.

No Permit Required

Although a permit for the following may not be required, if you have a HOA/COA you should check with them for their rules. This list is not all-inclusive. Only certain examples are listed. Please call us at 863.834.6012 for additional information if necessary.


  •  Painting
    • (Painting of commercial buildings within the Lakeland Downtown Development Authority boundary and historic districts MUST have Design Review approval prior to painting.)
  • Carpeting/Flooring
  • Replacing cabinets
  • Residential wheelchair ramp (permit not required, please follow ADA guidelines for construction and contact Planning and Zoning for setback requirements. Commercial wheelchair ramps do require a permit)
  • Minor roof shingle repair - less than 25 square feet 


  • Replacing existing:
    • Replacement of light fixtures
    • Ceiling fan replacement 
    • Cover plates


  • Stopping of leaks
  • Clearing drain stoppages, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement/rearrangement of valves or pipes
  • Replacing faucets


  • Replacement of any part within a single piece of equipment
  • Connection of portable equipment such as
    • Portable heating appliances
    • Portable ventilation equipment
    • Portable cooling unit


Permit Required


This list is not all-inclusive. Only certain examples are listed. Please call us at 863.834.6012 for additional information, if necessary.

Contracted Work

Work that requires an inspection to verify compliance with applicable technical code requires a construction permit.

Call us and we can verify if the contractor is licensed and registered to do the type of work under his contract and if permits are required.

Permits are required for most of the following work:

  • Building (Change of use - any change in occupancy as defined by the Building Code. A change of use is required even where no alterations are planned or required by code. Please contact Luis Cruz before applying to verify a Change of Use Permit is appropriate and/or required for your proposed use)
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Mechanical
  • Roof
  • Gas
  • Driveways
  • Carports
  • Porches
  • All foundation remediation work
  • Irrigation Systems 
  • Tents for Public assembly or use, with or without electrical service 
  • All storage buildings (Storage shed not attached to primary structure - Permit required if over 5 feet tall and exceeding 250 cu feet. If either area or height is exceeded, a permit is required. This includes sheds and other accessory structures such as carports, garages, workshops, etc.)
  • Screening of any space that requires structural or infill framing to be added
  • Retaining walls required for structural support, protection or erosion 
  • Commercial and Residential docks, piers, sea walls, boathouses and boat ramps
  • Construction or demolition of any building or structure regardless of size 
  • Decorative retaining walls

Call 863.834.6012 and ask for a Plans Examiner for more information. 


Looking for Special Event Permits?

Visit our Special Event Permits page in Parks & Recreation.